Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas in Morocco

Just as I was feeling the Christmas-Eve-alone blues, Santa swept in and brought my parents to the Casablanca airport yesterday morning. After five months of (mainly) solo travel, I was only a little excited to see them.

Exponential excitement leads to childish handmade airport arrival signs. (Thankfully Christmas colors are the same as Morocco colors).

I'm taking a holiday hiatus from research and am currently in Sale (across the river from Rabat) soaking up the sun, taking long walks through the medinas, and doing a whole lot of catch up.



I was excited, but I actually couldn't even have predicted just how good it feels to see them after all this time and all of these new experiences.

Christmas dinner in Rabat.
With my Christmas goodies, including quick dry underwear, Lake Champlain Chocolates, Dr. Bronner's soap and, most importantly, and most expensively, anti-malarial medicine for Zambia.

It is amazing to think that a year after my parents "rashly" promised me that they'd come visit wherever I was for Christmas if I got a Watson fellowship, here we are, together in Morocco.


Thank you, Santa. Thank you, Watson. Wishing you and yours a very happy holiday (just a day late). Later this week my sister and brother-in-law will be arriving and we'll all ring in the new year here together.

In the meantime, I am one happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment